Surviving interviews in restaurants
NEW YORK, NY -- Interviews can be stressful, but, interviewing can be even more stressful if the interviewer invites you to lunch or dinner. Here's some tips for surviving interviewing while eating:
- Manners matter! Be polite and remember to say "please" and "thank you" to the restaurant staff.
- Keeping track. Beverages will be on the right, side plates will be to the left. For example, your water glass will be on the right and your bread plate will be on the left.
- Put your napkin on your lap once everyone is seated. If you need to leave the table, put your napkin on the seat or the arm of your chair.
- Order something easy to eat - not barbequed ribs, spaghetti and meatballs, big sandwiches or anything else that can be messy.
- Be frugal! Don't order the most expensive entree on the menu.
- Try to stay calm, relaxed, and involved in the conversation.